Fos ter i ng Saf et y Exce l l ence & Sus ta i nab l e Sh i pp i ng
S A F E T Y 4 S E A We e k l y F l a s h M a i l 2 0 1 5 - 4 4
This is an OUTDATED sample – NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION
| Page 7
anchorages to be established, anchoring practices to be followed, monitoring of wind/current/depth/tidal
conditions, anchoring checklist.
- Standard points set, distance / bearing from land mark, Radar / GPS anchor watch, Master's standing
orders, Master's night orders to be strictly followed, Continuous communication between bridge and deck
- Preventive maintenance plan, tests prior arrival, alternative plan in case of emergency, continuous
monitoring from deck watch
- Notice to the Engine Room well in advance prior anchoring, Procedures/Instructions for frequent checks of
- Training procedures, crew evaluation reports, crew certification authentication checks, interview process,
review past experience prior employment.
- Anchoring checklist, proper GMDSS maintenance and tests as per Company's procedures, both anchors
ready, emergency anchorage noted.
- Continuous monitoring of adjacent ships, VHF/AIS watch
- Ship Security Plan,security watches,securing anchor access, doors, openings.
- In depth up to 20 meters the anchor can let go on the run, over 20 mtrs the anchor to be walked out to
within 5-6 mtrs from sea bed and then let go. Avoid anchoring in depths over 100 mtrs. Echo sounder in
F. SAFETY MEETING: Anchoring and Anchor watch
Explain to all participants the procedures and precautions to be followed when anchoring and during anchor
- Planning the anchorage
- Safety Circle of vessel during anchorage
- Position Monitoring
- Weather forecast ; Local weather
- Lifting the anchor under heavy weather
- Communication watch and status during anchorage
- Tug assistance
G. SLOGAN OF THE WEEK:
If you SEE something, SAY something!! If you SAY something DO something!!
~ Robert Morgan
About SAFETY4SEA Weekly Safety Flash Mail
The weekly Safety Flash e-mail is a brief designed for shipboard use in order to enhance the safety culture onboard
and is formatted as a text only to ensure the minimum size possible. It is part of the SAFETY4SEA Corporate
Subscription and intented for distribution to SAFETY4SEA Corporate subscribers only.
About SAFETY4SEA CORPORATE Subscription
The service includes the Weekly Safety Flash E-mail for shipboard use and a Quarterly regulatory Update DVD
including all latest updates [ Regulatory, IMO, Class, Loss Prevention, and other, including 3-4 Training Videos (12-15
min each) for the use of crew onboard].
SAFETY4SEA is a Not For Profit Organisation (NPO) fostering Safety Excellence and Sustainable Shipping via Portal,
Paper Magazine, Forum, Masterclass and Awards. Explore more atwww.safety4sea.com